Wednesday, February 4, 2009

60 minutes really isn't enough.

At my level, I really should be practicing a minimum of 120 minutes per day. But right now, it ain't going to happen. There's no way I can do the type of practicing I need to do in just one hour per day. But what I'm doing now is keeping me from going downhill in my skill level. If it wasn't ten o'clock when I began my practicing, I would have probably practiced much more today than just one hour. Since I had a busy day out of the home, I was unable to practice during the day, so I had to settle for all night time practicing today.

I wish I had practiced more when I was young, 17, 18, 19, 20... Suddenly I feel the urge to sing "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger."

Today was the day of impromptus. I started off with my Impromptu by Tcherepnin. I played through that a few times then moved on to my Schubert Impromptu, which is probably one of my favorite pieces that I've ever played (it's up there with Clair de Lune and Beethoven's Sonata no. 8). I played it through once at my regular speed, which is a bit slower than "full speed" (144/123 bpm in 3/4 time). Because my fingers were so clumsy, I decided to play it at half speed. I still made mistakes, but I think it's because I played it the whole way through. I need to get my fingers to the point where they don't make mistakes, but not be so far-reaching as to try to get the whole song at once. So I'm breaking it down, section by section. It's 11 pages long, and I have three major trouble spots that I've been drilling for the last several days. So my plan of action is this: Practice each of the trouble spots at half speed 10x perfectly before moving on to a faster speed, working up till I can play each trouble spot full speed perfectly 10x in a row; once that is achieved, play through each page at 1/2 time 10x perfectly, then increase the speed on each page, until full speed is achieved. I think I'll be able to reduce my practice time on this piece to 20 minutes per day if I just take it one section/speed per day.

At this point, I had 10 minutes left, so instead of starting another piece (I was starting to get tired), I played through May Song a couple of time. Oy. I hadn't played it in a few weeks. It's amazing what a few weeks off will do to you! It was quite clumsy sounding.

I'd better play that nocturne soon before I lose what I have gained!

No comments: